Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins - with NO sugar!

I've been trying to switch over all my bread recipes to whole wheat and cut way back on the amount of sugar we eat.  Most recipes call for SO much sugar.  What is the point of "homemade" if it isn't any healthier than store bought?  Today I experimented by making whole wheat banana muffins...  without sugar!  Say whaa?

Yep, that's right.  The best part is that they actually tasted good AND my kids loved them too!  Win-win!

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed in 4 Tbs water.  (or just use 2 eggs if you can)
  • 3 bananas
  • 1/4 cup honey (this is still healthy right? :D)
  • 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I mixed all the wet ingredients together then added the dry ingredients one at a time.  I didn't mixed it up super well.  Then pour batter into your muffin pan.  I used my mini muffin pan because these muffins are mostly for the kiddos.  I baked them for about 12 min.  My oven tends to bake things pretty quickly.  Keep an eye on them and they will come out perfect!
This recipe made 39 mini muffins.  Probably would have made 40 if I could have stopped myself from eating the batter...

Mr. T approves!





4 comments:

  1. Love these! I am going to share this on Eating Eden next week - great recipe! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! Do you think regular yogurt would work? I'm guessing yes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would work out just fine, if not better! :)

      Delete