Thursday, March 1, 2012

Graham Crackers

Well, I've been scouring the internet for a whole wheat graham cracker recipe that is very simple and not containing any milk, egg, or soy and preferably very little or no sugar.  I didn't have much luck, so I tried to go with the basic idea that I saw from others recipes.

Here is what I came up with.  It needs some improving.  Mostly, I needed to roll the dough much thinner.  I was using a glass to roll them out.  I should probably just buy a small rolling pin!  I also need a silpat mat that actually fits on a cookie sheet.

Whole Wheat Graham Cracker Recipe
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cups honey
A splash of water to make the dough a little stickier.

Melt the coconut oil and then mix everything together.  Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.  Cut them right when they come out of the oven and the will harden up as the cool off.

These have a pretty nice flavor. Not super graham crackery though.  And WAY too thick.  Will have to try these again.  Anyone, have any ideas?
I ate several these while still warm with a cup of tea.

2 comments: