Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Birthday Cake

Tonight we are having a small first birthday party for Mr. T and a buddy of his who was born just a week before him.  I decided to make the cake for it.  And of course, it is milk and egg free so big sis miss K can enjoy some cake too!

I'll admit I've watched my fair share of Cake Boss episodes, but this is the first time I have worked with fondant, so I decided to go simple because I wasn't sure what to expect.

I made two 9 in rounds of white cake and one 9 in of chocolate cake.  I used premade white fondant from Wilton which appears to be milk and egg free.  (I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't over look something. I might just pull the fondant off of her piece just to be sure!)

Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of all the steps I did.   But, I piled up the layers with icing in between and did a"crumb coat" all over it (learned from watching Buddy!  haha).  Then I worked up a sweat rolling out that brick of fondant into a nice thin layer.  It is super hard to get a nice solid piece without any folds or cracks.  But I rubbed away most of the cracks away with a little water. 




I dyed a few chunks of fondant red, blue, yellow, and green to make some flags.  Then cut them into triangles. 


I also wanted to try making a monkey, since Mr. T's buddy likes monkeys!  So, I found a tutorial here.


I'd say he turned out pretty good for my first attempt.  It took forever to get a decent shade of brown too!  My hands are a lovely rainbow now!

Miss K wanted to play with the fondant too.  Here is her creation.  No idea what it is!

Miss K told me he needed a party hat so we ended up putting one on him. 
 
 Here is the finished cake!

Now if only I could learn to write with those darn Wilton canisters of icing!  They are so hard to push and don't come out evenly.  So, please don't judge the writing!

1 comment:

  1. It looks really good. Especially the monkey--Keira was right about needing a hat. It is the "icing on the cake." Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete